Details & Logistics
The who, what, when, where & how of LearnUp
WHO: LearnUp can help anyone to read
- Any age. Our students range in age from kindergartners to adults.
- Any skill level. From non-readers to breakthrough readers—with or without a diagnosis of dyslexia.
Our students come from schools across the Bay Area—public, private, and parochial.
We also partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to train their teachers to help more students learn to read.
What: One-on-one tutoring
- Each tutoring lesson is 55 minutes.
- Students attend sessions 5 days a week.
When: Mostly after-school...but there are always exceptions
- We operate year-round and have ongoing enrollment.
- During the school year, we tutor from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Where: Upstairs at La Boulangerie bakery in San Francisco and Marin
- LearnUp has a unique co-location model where companies and universities house our nonprofit, eliminating our largest expense—rent—and reducing the stigma of learning centers.
- La Boulangerie is located at 2325 Pine Pine Street between Fillmore and Steiner.
- LearnUp is now tutoring in Fairfax, in Marin. Contact us for more details.
How (long): It’s what every parent wants to know
- During our free reading assessment, we will determine your child’s entry point—which we call reading starts.
- We don’t believe every student should start at the same level if their skills vary. This makes the program far more efficient.
- Once we understand where they are on the reading spectrum, we can approximate the number of sessions needed to meet reading goals and create measurable milestones to achieve them.
- As your child moves through the program, we will meet with you to discuss your child’s reading progress and explore any setbacks or challenges they may face.
LearnUp provides FREE reading assessments.
It’s the fastest way to find out if your child needs help.