Evidenced-based. Amazing results.
In just 3 months of tutoring, the average LearnUp student makes impressive reading gains.
Increase word fluency by more than 50%
Gain over 44 words per minute in fluency
Jump 2.0 grade levels in reading
Our assessment methods
While parent, student, and teacher testimonials are incredibly powerful, we also use multiple assessment methods to measure the true impact of the program on our students.
- We pre/post-assess all students enrolling in LearnUp. On a daily and weekly basis, our tutors are constantly measuring and assessing a students progress. Every 20 sessions, we administer our primary assessments to get a broader sense of the student's progress. Prior to exiting the program, we conduct a series final assessment to measure the students reading outcomes.
- LearnUp uses the Test of Word Reading Efficiency (TOWRE) reading assessments to measure an individual’s ability to pronounce printed words and phonemically regular non-words accurately and fluently. We use the Scholastic 3-Minute Reading Assessments: Word Recognition, Fluency and Comprehension to give us a snapshot of how our students' reading compares to their national grade level cohort.
- We track each student’s reading growth using weekly reading fluency assessments. At the start of the program, we measure reading their fluency and reading level in our curriculum and continue to reassess on a weekly basis. The phonemically aligned chapter books raise grade level and sentence complexity as the student progresses through the program.
- We record the student reading at the prior to enrolling in the program as well as regularly along the way. This becomes a visual and auditory record of their reading improvements.
- When the student exits, we conduct a final assessment to understand how far the student has come and calculate their reading level gains.
- We continue to explore other ways to measure our impact, including a measurement of self-esteem, which is a critical component of struggling readers and a key characteristic for future success.
Our history of results
Our reading director, Steve Tattum, has been training educators and teaching kids to read for over 40 years. In 1998, he took all that experience and created the Tattum Reading Program. LearnUp is replicating his methodology and scaling his success with students and schools in the Bay Area.
LearnUp outcomes are in line with the historical outcomes of schools, learning specialists, and tutors using the Tattum Reading Program (also known as F.A.S.T.) Despite the different names, they are the same innovative approach, curriculum, methodologies, and materials. The research cited below was conducted on both the Tattum Reading Program and the F.A.S.T. Program.
Michigan Five Year Study Shows Amazing Reading Growth +
Denver Students Make Significant Reading Gains +
LearnUp provides FREE reading assessments.
It’s the fastest way to find out if your child needs help.