Evidenced-based. Amazing results.
In just 3 months of tutoring, the average LearnUp student makes impressive reading gains.
Increase word fluency by more than 50%
Gain over 44 words per minute in fluency
Jump 2.0 grade levels in reading
Our assessment methods
While parent, student, and teacher testimonials are incredibly powerful, we also use multiple assessment methods to measure the true impact of the program on our students.
- We pre/post-test all students enrolling in LearnUp. We reassess every 20 sessions as an ongoing measure of reading progress and conduct a final exit assessment to measure reading outcomes.
- In addition to internal measures, LearnUp uses the Test of Word Reading Efficiency (TOWRE) reading assessments to measure phonemic awareness and sight word mastery. We use the 3-Minute Scholastic Reading Assessment to give us a snapshot of how our students compare to their national grade level cohort. For students with comprehension issues, we may also administer The Gray Silent Reading Tests (GSRT).
- We internally track each student’s reading growth. At the start of the program, we record their entry point, measure their reading fluency and reading level in our curriculum. Then, we re-measure progress on a weekly basis.
- We film each student at the beginning and along the way to help see and hear their reading progress. This becomes a visual and auditory record of their reading improvements.
- When the student exits, we can see the overall progress of the student and calculate their reading level gains.
- We are exploring other ways to measure our impact, including a measurement of self-esteem, which is a critical component of struggling readers and a key characteristic for future success.
Our history of results
Our reading director, Steve Tattum, has been training educators and teaching kids to read for over 40 years. In 1998, he took all that experience and created the Tattum Reading Program. LearnUp is replicating his methodology and scaling his success with students and schools in the Bay Area.
LearnUp outcomes are in line with the historical outcomes of schools, learning specialists, and tutors using the Tattum Reading Program (also known as F.A.S.T.) Despite the different names, they are the same innovative approach, curriculum, methodologies, and materials. The research cited below was conducted on both the Tattum Reading Program and the F.A.S.T. Program.
Michigan Five Year Study Shows Amazing Reading Growth +
Denver Students Make Significant Reading Gains +
LearnUp provides FREE reading assessments.
It’s the fastest way to find out if your child needs help.